Have You Been Accused Of A Sex Crime?
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Powers Sellers & Finkelstein, PLC recognize the devastating consequences that people suffer when accused of committing a sex crime. We also know that these types of charges are often times over-charged by the prosecuting agency. Additionally, the number of falsely accused individuals is steadily climbing. It’s critical to work with sex crimes attorneys who have the experience to help navigate these serious matters.
People have strong views of crimes that are sexual in nature and there is often a stigma associated with being accused of sex crimes. Personal views and social attitudes can affect your relationships, your employment, your future, and ultimately, your defense.
Sex crime cases are aggressively prosecuted in Florida; even more so when the alleged victim is a minor. At times, the State Attorney’s Office will have special prosecutors assigned to prosecute only these cases. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney who has defended countless clients charged with a wide range of sexual offenses. Our team has the unique skills to handle the complex issues involved in defending a sex crime case.
TYPES OF SEX CRIMES:
- Sexual battery, also known as rape, is the oral, anal or vaginal penetration by one person to a non-consenting individual by use of force. It is important to know that consent is not a defense when the victim is below a certain age.
- Unlawful Sexual Activity with a Certain Minor is a consensual or non-consensual sexual act with a minor. The offense is driven by the age of the offender and the age of the victim. Other factors that may contribute to the degree of the offense and the range of possible penalties are: whether the victim is mentally or physically handicapped; whether the victim was injured; whether the act was completed; and whether there was actual penetration. A capital sexual battery is punishable by mandatory life in prison if convicted as charged.
- Lewd and Lascivious activity involves children who are under the age of sixteen. The charge may be filed as a Lewd and Lascivious Molestation, Exhibition, Battery or Conduct.
- Child pornography
- Exposure of sexual organs
Our legal team defends clients against sex crime charges such as:
- Lewd or Lascivious Battery
- Lewd or Lascivious Molestation
- Lewd or Lascivious Conduct
- Lewd or Lascivious Exhibition
- Sexual Battery (Rape)
- Aggravated Sexual Battery
- Sexual Battery with a Deadly Weapon
- Sexual Battery Likely to Cause Serious Personal Injury
- Capital Sexual Battery
- Sexual Battery by a Person Under 18 on Child Under 12
- Unlawful Sexual Activity with Minors
- Traveling to meet a minor
- Child Pornography Cases
- Transmission of Material Harmful to Minors by Electronic Device
- Failure to Register as a Sexual Offender
- Sexual Offender designation and registration
- Sexual predator designation and registration
WORKING WITH QUALIFIED ATTORNEYS:
The effects this type of charge can have on an individual extend way beyond the possibility of losing your freedom. Your job, your reputation and your livelihood are on the line. There are numerous defenses and it is important to consult an experienced sex crimes attorney so you can become aware of all of your options. Our office has been handling these and other violent crime cases for years. We work with DNA experts, experienced investigators, independent laboratories, child psychologists and a range of other types of experts to ensure that we have exhausted every possible defense.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT TRIAL:
Should your case proceed to trial, you can expect that the State Attorney’s office or other prosecuting agency has carefully built what it believes to be a strong case. Our office is equipped with the knowledge and skills to aggressively defend sex crime charges. Your defense begins the day you hire us. We will immediately, through the use of investigators and our own independent experts, begin to build your defense. The prosecutors often times “get it wrong” and we have been defending these types of charges long enough to know this. It is the prosecutor’s inclination to believe the stories told by alleged victims and it is our job to expose deceitful motivations behind false accusations (if this is indeed suspected in your case).
SPEAK WITH LOCAL SEX CRIMES ATTORNEYS:
If you or someone you know is under investigation or has been charged with a sex crime, your defense should begin immediately. Often times, evidence is not properly preserved and delaying your defense can have significant negative consequences. Prosecuting agencies will utilize creative investigative tools to build their cases. You need an experienced attorney to guide you through the process whether you have been formally charged or if you suspect you are being investigated. Do not hesitate to call our office for a free consultation with a Tampa sex crimes lawyer and remember that the most innocent behavior or statements can be used against you in a court of law. Getting our office involved early in your case may save your life and your reputation.
Contact Powers Sellers & Finkelstein Today
Fill out the form below & one of our Criminal Defense Attorneys will respond to your request within 24 Hours.