Lewd or Lascivious Conduct
In Florida, Lewd or Lascivious Conduct commonly referred to as L&L Conduct, is a serious offense that involves the unlawful touching of a child under the age of 16 years old. Specifically, the touching may not be lewd or lascivious. The definitions of these words are broad. Lewd and Lascivious means lustful, licentious, unchaste, wicked or sensual.
Under Florida Statute 800.04 (6), Lewd or Lascivious Conduct is committed by a person who:
- Intentionally touches a person under 16 years of age in a lewd or lascivious manner; or
- Solicits a person under 16 years of age to commit a lewd or lascivious act
The penalties for Lewd and Lascivious Conduct depend on the offender’s age.
- An offender 18 years of age or older – second degree felony punishable up to 15 years in prison, sex offender probation and sex offender registration
- An offender less than 18 – third degree felony punishable up to 5 years in prison, sex offender probation and sex offender registration.
- Romeo and Juliet – although not a defense specifically, this law allows for an exception to the mandatory sex offender registration requirement for some individuals under specific circumstances.
- Lack of the specific Lew and Lascivious intent
- False allegations
Get the Right Defense with a FREE Case Review
You may have been accused of Lewd and Lascivious Conduct, but that does not mean you are guilty. Many times, unwanted sexual touching is based on a subjective interpretation by the person making accusations, and some people use false allegations for retaliation. Because of the complexities of lewd and lascivious conduct charges and the age of the minor involved in the allegations, it is imperative that you speak with an experienced sex crimes lawyer right away.
If you or someone you know has been accused of a Lewd or Lascivious sex offense in the Pinellas County or Tampa Bay area, it is very important that you contact an experienced sex crimes attorney immediately. Our team of attorneys, investigators and experts are highly experienced in defending sex crimes and will begin building your defense today.
Contact us for a free analysis of your case at our local office located in Clearwater, Florida. Contact Powers Sellers & Finkelstein, PLC today at (727) 531-2926 to learn about your legal options if you have been accused of Lewd or Lascivious Conduct. Start building your defense immediately!