Incarceration Alternatives FAQ | Clearwater - Tampa

Powers Sellers & Finkelstein can help you if you are looking for help with incarceration alternatives and jail diversion programs. It is our goal to ensure you obtain the answers you deserve, as well as give you the representation and assistance you need to ensure a successful outcome for your case. 

If you have questions related to your specific case, you can contact us 24/7 for a free case review.

More Info

Here are some common questions that our firm receives from clients about alternatives to incarceration:

Can I Afford a Non-Jail Program?

Each program will have different costs. You may pay more depending on the type of charge and the recommended program for that charge. If you are accepted into one of the alternative sentencing programs, you can expect to pay fines, fees, and costs. If you owe restitution to a victim, you can expect to have to pay restitution as part of your program as well. Getting arrested is not cheap, but the benefits of entering a program will far outweigh the costs you will pay to do so.

I was arrested in another State, will this affect my ability to get into a program?

The previous arrest(s) will be taken into consideration when you apply for an alternative program. Most programs require little or no prior record for eligibility to participate.

Can I complete a non-jail program for my DUI in Clearwater?

Some Florida jurisdictions offer non-jail programs for first time DUI's. Depending on the facts surrounding your arrest, your prior criminal record and the county you were arrested in, your attorney may be able to make the case for a lesser offense. Negotiating something less than a DUI conviction is extremely important as a lesser disposition can save you time and money as well as avoid increased insurance rates.

What are Different Types of Non-Jail Programs Offered in Florida?

Non-jail programs are usually offered to non-violent, first time offenders or offenders with minimal records. Upon successful completion of the program, the charges may be dismissed. Post-conviction alternatives are usually under the supervision of the Department of Corrections. If you are looking at a conviction and some form of jail, the State of Florida has alternatives to straight jail/prison time. These alternatives may include some form of work release, community control, house arrest, electronic monitoring or probation.

Can I complete the Program in Another State if I was Arrested in Florida?

Typically, no. Most programs require supervision in the county you were arrested. If you are not from Florida and plan to go back to your home state, call our office and we can discuss more options for you akin to diversion such as pre-trial mitigation.

Will I be Drug Tested While in a Non-Jail Program?

Most likely, you will have to submit to random drug screening. You are more likely to be required to submit to random drug tests if your charge is drug-related.

More Info

Contact Us

Keep Calm. Call Us.

Best client service

We make sure to be there for our clients every step of the way.

Amazing track record

We will put our long-standing record of success to work for you.

Top litigators

Our team has over 30 years of litigation experience.

Expert problem solvers

No problem has been proven too big for us to handle.

Contact Us Today

Powers Sellers & Finkelstein is committed to answering your questions about Criminal Defense law issues in Florida. We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.